1911--Annual report of librarian shows 19,312 books loaned.--Jan. 14.
1911--The deal with James Patterson for the sale of the Miami County fairgrounds was closed. He has 21 cars of
equipment, including animal cages, wagons, canvas, horses, etc.--MR. Jan. 21. He bought the John Zahner 100 acre
tract on the west side of the Frisco railroad where he will establish his permanent headquarters.--May 19. Archie
Hoover sold goats for feed of lions and other animals. Patterson is erecting a 50 x 60 brick building for an animal house,
a 50 x 60 work shop and a 30 x 40 wagon shed .--Sept. 22.
1911--The Strang electric line between Kansas City and Olathe will extend to Ft. Scott through Paola.--Feb. 3.
1911--The past two weeks the gas light was not enough for ground hog to see shadow.--Mar. 3.
1911--Special election to vote on commission form of government, it was defeated.--Mar. 10.
1911--Mr. Harry Burton invites all ladies to see her hair goods. Switches dyed and remodeled and will buy combings.--
1911—F.L. Rauchley is building bottling works and pop factory in south part of town.--Mar. 17.
1911--Deposited in the corner stone of the Methodist Church are the minutes of first quarterly and district conferences.
1911--Owners of automobiles meet at the skating rink to organize. The automobile has become a permanent vehicle.--
1911--Electric lights are illuminating some of the business houses.--Mar. 24. The city library is being lighted with electric
lights instead of gas.--Sept. 22
1911--General science class of high school put on a “Clean Up Week” for Paola.--Mar. 26.
1911--The two rooms for tubercular patients, at the county farm, destroyed by fire are being rebuilt with hollow tile.--
1911--E.S. Evans has bought the 5, 10 & 25 store of A.G. Abrams.--Mar. 31.
1911--Robert Ayres elected mayor over B.J. Sheridan.--Apr. 7.
1911--The firm of McKoon and Wishropp dissolved; McKoon took clothing and Wishropp grocery and real estate.--May 5.
1911--The Paola Symphony has been organized with about 20 members. Rates for concerts and dances will be $1 an
hour for each musician for lawn parties and moving pictures shows 50 cents an hour.--June 9.
1911--Extreme hot weather requires a surprising amount of ice. Monday, Baehr Bros. delivered 93 cakes of ice
averaging 300 pounds each; by Tuesday noon they were out. Nearly all neighboring towns were out of ice for the
1911--The Paola Auto Co. has been bought by A. Lane, managed by his son Vernon, assisted by Ellis McCullough and
John Lane.—July 14.
1911--The Chautauqua is being held in a tent in the new park, South Park, at the south city limits, the first public use of
the park.—July 28.
1911--Frank Hite, day clerk at the Commercial Hotel resigned. Twenty years ago he bought shares in a Mexican mining
company; this week his share was $1,600,000.—Sept. 22.
1911—The first steps toward buses for schools was taken by the Board of Education.—Sept. 26.
1911--The electric red light bulb for police call moved from the opera house to the telephone pole on the corner at
Mitchler’s store.--MR. Oct. 13.
1911--A Wright aeroplane in its hazardous flight coast to coast passed over Paola at a rate of a mile a minute at a
height of 800-1200 feet.--MR. Oct. 20.
1911--Paul Mabes went to Iowa to buy potatoes and apples for Wishropp Grocery.--MR. Oct. 27.
1911--Masons moved their quarters from the third story of Dr. Walthall building to the third story of the D.O. Sellers
building; they expect to remain permanently.--MR. Nov. 3.
1911--Free delivery service will be inaugurated at the post office Dec. 1. Two carriers appointed were Bernal Barnhill
and Lester Rose.--Nov. 10. The carriers look well in their new uniforms. which give them an official appearance.--Dec. 22.
1911--Adv.-To keep down the muddy scum which rises when you use the Paola water for cooking, get a Roberts filter.--
MR. Nov. 24.
1911--Paola owes $35,000 in bonds for paving about the city park, the city and library buildings and street and alley
1911--George Quimby has purchased a 40-horse power Moon touring car.--Dec. 15.
1911--Alex Stremmel purchased the air dome of Bunyan & LeMaster and will conduct it with his OK Theatre.--Dec. 22.
1912--Ray Scheinert received a broken arm when the car rumble seat in which he was riding turned over.--Mar. 11.
1912--Ione Cranston and J.A. Patterson Married in Wewaka, OK.--Mar. 13. The Great Patterson Shows exhibited 3 days
before starting summer tour and stamped with public approval.--May 1
1912--W.H. Lewis has an auto, wishes to sell run-about and single harness cheap.--May 1.
1912--Mr. and Mrs. Rollin Hudson who lived here since April were murdered at 710 W. Wea, June 5, 1912. (Unsolved)—
1912--Mr. Carrie McLaughlin bought George L. Robinson’s old boarding hall foot of schoolhouse hill to be razed and
replaced by a bungalow--June 26.
1913 Dr. J.D. Walthall had addition built to Commercial Hotel, 25 x 40, three stories, basement, and 15 new rooms with
steam heat, making 40 rooms. (12 with bath), dining room, office and lobby enlarged.--Feb. 21.
1913—Cleaning up in city park. 24 seats were shipped in so now the capacity is for nearly 400 people for band
concerts. It has been suggested that the trees in Park Square could be watered from the two old wells and from the
fish pond.--Apr. 6.
1913--Ira McCallon resigned as Marshal and lamp lighter.--Feb. 26.
1913--Voters signed a petition to pave 5 blocks of Pearl Street from Piankishaw to High Line Railroad tracks.--May 11.
1913—I wish to extend my thanks to the Mayor and Council members for their Decision in naming the new park in
memory of my husband J.E. (James) Wallace. Goodbye South Park. Yours, Mary E. Wallace.--May 15.
1913--C.M. McKoon in mercantile business many years is retiring, complete close out of stock.--June 10.
1913--The ground occupied by the radiator plant, ice plant and cold storage plant and the old McLachlin mill, was
anciently an Indian cemetery. Baehr Bros. in excavating for the cellar of their cold storage plant found in an Indian
grave a china dinner plate, part of a buffalo robe and a few bones which they donated to the city library, for the
inspection of those who care to see such relics.—July 26.
1913--Women of Note: Mr. Francis Plank Russell (Mr. Elijah), 82, mother of 18 children--Oct. 17 Mr. Ida Gates
Montgomery, wife of William J., postmaster at New Lancaster.--Oct. 31.
1913--Work has started on a 20 x 50 addition to the post office building extending on the east end. Recently the
present site was leased to the government for ten more years.--Nov. 18.
1913--Miss Flora Torrey Wagstaff was admitted to the bar in this county under Hon. Hiram Stevens, Dist. Judge.
1913--One-half page write-up and 5 pictures of VanPelt Hospital.--Dec. 19.
1914—T.M. Hobson asks Council’s permission to form a private cemetery association for land bought from oil refinery. It
would probably last 40-50 years.--Jan. 9.
1914--H.O. Peterson bought Paola News & Notion Co. from George B. McDaniel.--MR. Jan. 30.
1914--Archie Hoover & Quince Smith have patent for Peerless Skating Rinks and expect to manufacture on a large scale.
1914--Mr. S.M. Strong is leasing LaClede Hotel; Mr. Etta Senter is changing to Frisco Depot Miami House.--Feb. 6.
1914--Paola Electric Light Co. have poles on W. Peoria and Mulberry to Frisco and Missouri Pacific depots which will be
wired for electricity soon.--Feb. 20.
1914--About 60 Merchants and Farmers organized; a paid secretary will be employed. (Later Commercial Club).
1914--The Wells-Fargo, American and US express companies consolidated their business with an office in Mallory Opera
1914--Last Sunday’s Star had 1/2 page write-up about Patterson Circus Shows. Patterson says he couldn’t have done
it without Bill Harris (father of Mr. Walter Smith).--Apr. 24.
1914--15-20 trees in the public square had to be cut, killed in last summer’s dry spell.--May 15
1914--R.R. Robertson is music instructor at Paola School succeeding Emma Paxton--May 15.
1914--T.M. Hobson bought the old Paola Lumber office building to move south of the High school for a residence.
1914--At his birthday party, James Cowell exhibited several hundred pictures on his ready opticon that greatly pleased
his guests.--May 29.
1914--Mr. Garman sold her greenhouse to Fred Hagemeyer, who made it into the largest ever built in Paola.--June 12.
1914--Art McLachlin with brother-in-law bought the John F. Merrill lumber yard from Paola Lumber & Coal. Office building
was remodeled in 1924, brick covered with white diamond sparkle rock--June 19.
1914--As of Mar. 1, 263 auto licenses had been bought plus 25 more since.--June 26.
1914 Paul and Eric Mabes made 12 day trip to Colorado in Indian motorcycle and sidecar.--July 3.
1914--July 13 Dr. Oren Lowe will be in office of Dr. J.F. Koogler, studying in New York--July 10.
1914--June 3 the Cherokee Indian Nation of Oklahoma ceased to be a tribal government; it had been the largest in
USA. Property was converted into cash and allotted to each Cherokee.--July 10.
1914--Rudy-Patrick Seed Co. sold Paola business to Thomas Pickles and J.E. Ballard who have been in charge.--July 17.
1914--Fifteen young men between 18 and 35 years are wanted to go to Ft. Riley with Co. D. to attend maneuvers. Pay
is $1 a day and all expenses.--July 13.
1914--Persons from Germany who have not filed their final naturalization papers before the war are required to file as
aliens with complete family history and physical description; 64 have Paola addresses.--Nat. Archives, KC.
1914--Russia and Japan are two of England’s war partners. That is no proper company for respectable people. England
will live to regret that she ever hooked up with such cattle.--Aug. 21.
1914--A leading merchant started home from KC in his six-cylinder Hudson had to stop 19 times to water his engine.--
1914--MFC returned home from Woodman, Colorado sanitarium after 6 months treatment of tuberculosis.--Sept. 18.
1914--The new addition to Ursuline Academy will be of reinforced concrete. It will be 35 feet west of the standing
buildings, connected with the main building by a hall.--WS. Sept. 22.
1914--A.E. Shelton running for Register of Deeds ran family picture of him, wife and 5 children as his 7 reasons he
should be elected.--Oct. 25.
1914--The new electric lights around Park Square turned on for the first time Saturday--Oct. 30.
1914--The Patterson Circus is being unloaded at winter quarters here: 9 lions, a puma, a leopard, 7 bears, other wild
animals, trained ponies and dogs in John Bachman’s Animal Show.--Oct. 3.
1914--The extra MKT passenger train which left here Saturday night was the first train to enter the new Union Station
just five minutes before the big gates were open.--WS. Nov. 10.
1915--Daniel O’Donnell and Preston Mitchell bought H. H. Grant grocery stock and will be in Jones Bldg.--Jan. 19.
1915--Co. D. 1st Inf., KS NG, 2nd Lt. Cyrus W. Ricketts was elected 1st Lt. to fill resignation of B.L. Sperling--Jan. 19.
1915--M.A. Schroeder offered to City Council to furnish foundation, cement floor and retaining walls for a shelter house
for Wallace Park. Mr. (Frank F) Ivah Scheer to raise money for roof and pillars.--July 19. On Park Cleanup Day farm and
town worked together; women cooked. Pleasant Hour Club asked for plants that could be spared. Later Mothers’ Hour
Club bought a fountain from Campbell property, shelter was built, Hagemeyer was named Superintendent. City
drainage has oil so PWA made it so only drainage in lake was from park.--July 30.
1915--Dr. J.D. Walthall exchanged 3-story building at southwest corner of park for Sinkey farm.--Aug. 13.
1916--Hoboes are numerous around the depots; one morning 110 were in a camp west of city cemetery.--Jan. 14.
1916--There has been more than a week of good skating on the lake in Wallace Park.--Jan. 21. First oil well; Earl Smith
drilling for Frank Elliott in extreme northeast corner of the Park--Feb. 4.
A concert was given by Presbyterian Church to benefit Wallace Park.--Nov. 24.
1916--Ordinance was passed for peddlers licenses to go from $2 to $25 a day.--Apr. 21.
1916--On Decoration Day the cook tent of Co. D was set up at southwest corner of square. A bean dinner was served
to old soldiers, Relief Corps workers and Spanish American Veterans with a fine program in the opera house in the
1916--Major Benjamin F. Simpson, 82, who has lived in Paola since 1857 has died. He was an attorney and former
1916--J.B. Hobson who opened first real estate office in Paola also an agent for Baptiste Peoria died Nov. 19, 1916.--
1916--Soldiers’ statue erected 50 ton 35 feet tall with Union soldier on top, made by Sellers Monuments. Cost $5000. B.
J. Sheridan states it is the tallest between St. Louis and Denver. (Because of unpaid balance of $3,411, bronze 3 x 5
tablet, paid for by Brig. Gen. Chas. Crawford, with 1500 names of Spanish American and WWI dead was not attached
and monument not dedicated until 1968, 52 years later. Seller’s heirs forgave debt. Jun 10, 1968).--Nov. 28.
1917--James Patterson received a spotted hyena, yak, and llama to be added to circus menagerie. He is having a
dining hall built for the 300 men he plans to employ by March 1.--Jan. 17.
1917--The new 9 hour ruling by the State Industrial Welfare commission for female and minor employees will become
effective Feb. 28.--WS. Jan. 17.
1917--New auditorium at Ursuline formally opened Feb. 12.--WS. Feb. 14.
1917--The grocery and hardware stores closed noon Thanksgiving Day, others all day.--Nov. 27.
1917--The county clerk Helman issued 200 hunting licenses this year and there are still several who have not procured
1917--Clarence A. Low and Martin H. Verdier were sent to Camp Funston by the local board to complete the 85%
required of this county.--Dec. 18. Among the soldier boys who left for Jefferson Barracks, MO was Chris Koobys, a
Grecian who with Gus Markis opened the Candy Kitchen two years ago. (He returned for 60 years.)--May 17, 1918.
1917--The third shipment of knitted articles for the Red Cross included 49 sweaters, 4 scarves, 4 pr. wristlets, 2
helmets and 1 pr. socks.--Dec. 18.
1917--High School students will have vacation until Jan. 7, hoping the new building will be ready by then. This is the
last class to graduate from North School.--Dec. 21, 1917. Formal opening was held Jan. 22, 1918 in the new H.S.
1918--Mr. John M. Tracy, 22, New Lancaster, died of pneumonia at Watson Sanitarium.--Jan. 22.
1918--The consumption of wheat flour must be reduced at once; 75 million bushels are being shipped to our soldiers
overseas. Merchants must put in large quantities of wheat substitutes: barley, buckwheat and rice flours; corn meal
and flour, grits and starch; oatmeal, potato flour and hominy.--Feb. 8.
1918--Hard frost caught potatoes and tender vegetables. First real rain since last fall, April unusually cold while March
more like May, seasons a month late.--May 3.
1918--Protzmans sold their elevator on W. Wea to Farmers Union Coop.--May 24.
1918--Call of 91 men by draft board, 54 leave by train May 28 and 7 about June 3 for training camp. Home guards have
90 members; their uniforms ordered through Cole Bros. Citizens contributed $888 for the equipment.--May 24. Draft
board ordered to enlist 5 men for Vancouver, WA to work in aeronautic corps to get out spruce for aeroplanes. A
number of citizens reported seeing an airplane flying over.—June 14.
1918--E.J. Sheldon has sold to Mr. Lucy Jackson the LaClede Hotel on W. Peoria.--May 31.
1918--Paola’s quota of 180 men to assist in harvest are getting toughened up.--May 31. At a meeting of Commercial
Club, Farm Bureau and business houses except Doctors, food and implement businesses asked to close each afternoon
except Saturday to enable all men to help in the wheat harvest. 15 men came down from KC, also.--June 14.
1918--Cpl. Loren D. Banta died of battle wounds in France; first Paola boy to be fatally wounded.
--June 28. Charles Patterson, son of James Patterson, killed in action in France--Aug. 2.
1918--Rev. J.C. Everett and family moved to Presbyterian parsonage given to church by late O.H. Hollis.--June 28.
1918--State Board of Health advises water from city mains for domestic use be boiled. Water is getting low in the creek
and should not be wasted.--July 5. A number of typhoid cases are prevalent around here.--Aug. 2
1918--Traveling in 30 motor cars young men’s division of KC Chamber of commerce will stop in Paola on a 2-day “Good
Will” tour.--July 19.
1918--Local draft board called 8 colored men to go by train to Camp Funston.--Aug. 2.
1918--Robert and Chris McGrath bought from other heirs of Robert McGrath estate 188 acre farm 1 mile east of town.
This is the old Baptist Mission farm where Dr. David Lykins came to this county as missionary to the Indians. In 1866
the late Robert McGrath bought farm.--Aug. 9.
1918--Good news: Delinquent Tax list in paper only 3 columns. Bad news: Shortage of hay. Corn failure. Scarcity of
water distressing. Temperature 100 for weeks.--Aug. 16. Water supply near danger point, 10-15 day supply in
1918--Schools open Sept. 3; 7th grade to the North School, all 8th to South School.--Aug. 23.
1918--Arrangement to erect new ice plant. Promoters: W.H. Moorehouse, George W. Strain, and Frank Sponable with
location near Moorehouse’s Electric Light and Power Plant.--Aug. 23.
1918--Dr. P.A. Petitt sold residence and 3 lots in northeast part of town to Chas. Heflebower.--Aug. 30. He bought and
is remodeling Rev. Charles Wheeler’s house on E. Kaskaskia.--Sept. 13.
1918--69 men called by draft to go to Camp Funston. Registration of all men 18-21 and 31-45 showed 2411 men in
Miami County--Sept. 6. Ship builders demanding $1 an hour for labor seems unfair to soldiers who serve in trenches for
$1.25 a day.--Sept. 13.
1918--A large clock with 4 dials has been placed on Miami County National Bank building, visible from every direction.--
1918--Miss Gertrude Hill elected principal to fill vacancy; Prof. Dewey called to service.—Sept. 27. Dr. O.C. Lowe to
Medical Corps. Dr. Foster to the Army, too.--Oct. 18.
1918--Boche (German) airmen dislike sight of American airplanes, investment of $20,000. Pilot costs $15,000 to train
and put into fighting.--Sept. 27.
1918--Community singing more popular, idea originated in Kansas. A chorus of 350 in “Liberty Sing.”--Sept. 27.
1918--Peiker & Scheer 2 stories and basement almost completely burned; thousands of dollars of food a complete loss.
1918--Mayor Hamlin prohibiting all meetings of more than 20 people due to flu epidemic. First death from flu, Sara
Margaret 6, daughter of W.G. Coplins.--Oct. 11. Patterson Circus intended to work in south this winter but fairs called
off because of flu epidemic.--Oct. 18. Because of epidemic all county schools closed next week. (List of deaths four
times normal)--Oct. 25. Epidemic subsiding rapidly; governor’s ban expires.--Nov. 1.
1918--Garnett has been totally out of water several months, Ottawa and Osawatomie very short, Paola’s water
available only at stated intervals.--Nov. 1.
1918--Sweetest music ever heard--whistle 3:00 Monday morning Nov. 11 followed by ringing of bells all over town and
firing of guns. END OF WAR. Germany signs ARMISTICE. Miami County has service flags with over 700 stars, some gold.--
Nov. 15. Questionnaires will be sent to 18 year olds but not 31-45’s.--Nov. 22.
1919--Henry Koehler sold his 19 acres to come here to educate his daughter at Ursuline.--Jan. 14.
1919--Emery, new president of Peoples National Bank sold Emery Hardware to Paola Hardware on the corner of north
side of square to his brothers-in-law, Boyd & McLachlin.--Jan. 14.
1919--Jessie Ward, 36, died Jan. 11, 1919 of pneumonia following flu. She was elected Clerk of District Court on
Democratic ticket in November and scheduled to be installed at time of death. Garrett Winkler was appointed to serve
in the vacancy.--MR. Jan. 14.
1919--The 35th division has been ordered home from France. Co. D., 137th Infantry of Paola is in the 35th; we expect
our boys home before many moons. The Kansas Legislature is making arrangements for an elaborate welcome when
they land in New York and also Kansas.--Feb. 14.
1919--It is said when the national prohibition amendment goes into effect, millions are going to move to Canada.--Feb.
1919--Allison Brothers is the clothing store that opened in Potts Building on east side of square. John F. Cole and John
Bachman will build on Klassen Estate lots 608 and 610 E. Peoria.--Mar.18.
1919--Victoria Krumsick, 15, daughter of MR. and Mr. W.M. Krumsick, is the youngest student at University of Kansas,
1919--Next Sunday Daylight Savings plan will go into effect again.--Mar. 25.
1919--Max Wells, released from Navy, has been with Sousa’s Band for 8 months at Great Lakes Training Station.--Apr.
1919--Father Bollweg, chaplain at Ursuline, goes to Louisburg and Father Kinsella will succeed him at the Academy.--
1919--Bernard J. Sheridan has been asked by the state headquarters to organize a chapter of the American Legion in
1919--Saturday night there was an unfortunate accident when a boy lost both legs and which should warn all boys to
stop hopping trains.--Oct. 3.
1920--Patterson Circus was west of KTY tracks out N. Iron, a dirt road. (Home place still there.) They had many animals
so people would go there like you would go to the zoo. One day about 30 monkeys got loose and they were all over
the roofs of houses. Parents were to keep children inside and close all windows even though it was summer. Patterson
workers came and captured them with large nets.--EH Scrapbook
1920--Where Paola Iron & Metal is, a cavalry barn was kept to return horses after long trips or training. Horses were
trained to return to barn when whistle was blown.... The men allowed boys to ride to Wallace Park. If some boys
stayed too long, an officer blew the whistle and the horses started back and nothing the boys could do would stop
1920--Emhart Battery Shop burned and rebuilt as Emmarts. Lloyd Drugstore on north side gutted, then restored as
Keith’s Men and Boy’s Wear.--Mar. 26.
1920--Scott Bounds bought lot next to Reeves Poultry House to build stand for his taxi.--Mar. 26.
a 150 year history in detail