Chapter 4--THE BEGINNING OF THE 20TH CENTURY
Note: To save space for more items of interest of yesteryears the author has used these abbreviations for the sources.
—(WS) for Western Spirit and (MR) for the Miami Republican, the source of most articles. A few may show (EH or ejh) for
Ethel Wise Hunt, long time historian or (PB) Pauline Burson and (HK) Helen Kohlenberg, newspaper woman. Please use
these items as a table of contents for further research about your interest.
1901--Jan. 1, 4,000 Kansans, representing 125 towns and cities enrolled in the 20th Century Total Abstinence Union
Workers, caused saloons to be closed in Garden City, Wellington, Paola and others.—1901, Annals of Kansas, pg. 335.
1901--A fairly strong flow of gas was struck at the fairgrounds west of Flora Hall at a depth of 375 feet by Franklin Light
and Fuel Co.--Jan. 24.
1901--Carl Pickering head workman at D.O. Sellers Marble Works for many years is going to Sellers at Coffeyville.--
1901--Gold medal to the best lady and gentleman dancer of the Paola Dancing Academy at Mallory Opera House.--MR.
1901--Woodson Masters moved from his 4th ward home on E. Piankishaw to new residence on W. Peoria. John Fordyce
completed two cottages there; A.J. White has spoken for one.--Feb. 14.
1901--City council presented ordinance raising clerk’s salary to $200 and Marshal’s to $420 a year.--Feb. 16.
1901--It is reported there are peddlers running over the county selling merchandise; every person who patronizes
them is surely beaten.--Feb. 16.
1901--Sam Condon presented the White-Sheridan camping outfit with the largest and best stew kettle ever made in
Paola, the work of J.A. Brown, the tinner, and is made of the best iron, well riveted, and holds 6 gallons.--Feb. 28.
1901--W.T. Potts, oldest grocer in continuous work for 34 years has begun to repaint.--Mar. 15
1901--Leavitt and Charley Mallory have bought lots south of Methodist Church and will put up residences.--Mar. 15.
1901--The city should provide more hitching posts; many farmers coming to town late Saturday afternoon were unable
to find places to tie their horses... The ladies toilet in the west basement of the new courthouse has been fitted nicely
for country women and children when in town Mar 22
1901--Atlas shows Dr. Robertson’s Health Institute. He had the large building (south of future Sales Barn) and large
medical staff. Sanitarium did well until wife sued for divorce and he received bad press. After Sheriff’s sale, he left for
Kansas City but located in Louisburg 1901. In 1922 he was arrested for concealing assets.--Apr. 4.
1901--Cemetery Association engaged B.F. Bradley, Rich Hill, to beautify the grounds; rubbish was removed last year.--
MR. Apr. 4.
1901--Apprentice girl wanted in millinery at Stich Dept. Store.--Apr. 12.
1901--Dr. J.D. Walthall has moved upstairs in the J.U. Smith building, north of the park. J.E. Maxwell moved to his new
palatial residence on E. Wea, most beautiful home in Paola.--MR. Apr. 12.
1901--W.A. Davis has had published a two-step, composed by R.B.M. LeMaster, called “The Violet Club,” in honor of the
organization of that name in this city.--Apr. 18.
1901—Mrs. (Carrie) Nation, whom we had expected sooner, arrived and was given a reception. She is sister of Charles
Moore, Louisburg and a relative of Mr. January of this county so she was coming to visit kin, too. She made a lecture at
the Opera House, reading riot act to proud humanity in general. May 3. (On April 23, 1903 only 5-6 persons at Mallory’s
to hear Carrie. She came but did not speak. Ticket price was refunded).
1901--There died in Paola an old man who was a credit to his race; Wm. Lee was born in slavery in 1814 in Washington
County, VA, and he served his master till 1863 when he became free and located in Kansas.--May 10.
1901--S.B. Cowell received his life-size, dapple gray, display horse which he now has on exhibition in front of his
harness shop. (Later Frank Koehler’s) --May 10.
1901--Flowering and foliage plants were set out on east side of courthouse supervised by Mr. R.B. Horr and Judge E.W.
Robinson.--May 17 The Paola Gun club will give a grand shooting tourney at the fairgrounds.--MR. May 17.
1901--The new fast Missouri Pacific train to Kansas City is proving very popular, it departs from Paola 7:15 am and
returns in the evening 7:30.--MR. May 23.
1901--Mr. Sarah Stott received, through representatives of the AOUW Lodge, $2,000 insurance her husband had
carried as a member of that order.--MR. May 23.
1901--The class of 1901 banqueted by HS Alumni, in the McLaughlin Hall. Owing to large number of graduates the
program was divided into two evenings; the opera house was crowded both nights.--May 31.
1901--Dr. S.G. Numbers returned and opened an office in the Price Block, over Mitchler’s Clothing.--May 31.
1901--E.C. Phares has the new lumber yard in operation southeast of courthouse, corner of Pearl and Shawnee
Streets.--June 7. The new yard has been sold to E.S. Boyd Lumber Co.—June 28.
1901--J.C. Williford has begun work on his new brick residence a few doors west of the Presbyterian Church.—June 20.
1901--Professor G.W. Lowry has gone on a lecture tour through Oklahoma. He is one of the ablest Negroes in this
1901—Chances are ten to one that there will be a water famine by the first of next September. There is barely 5 feet in
the creek above the dam to pump on now and it is decreasing at an inch and a quarter a day. Soon the supply of
watering troughs will have to be discontinued and yard sprinkling must stop.—July 4.
1901--Dr. R.C. Nickerson, veterinarian, has located with his office at O’Rourke’s stables on W. Peoria.—July 11.
1901--A large party from (here) left first of week for the Kiowa lands to register for claims, after they organized the
Paola Land and Township Site Co.--MR. July 18.
1901--The Miami County Institute opened July 30 with an enrollment of 129. It was moved and passed that the
gentlemen need not wear coats during this session of the normal and also the ladies need not wear high collars.
1901--Papers no longer publish lists of wedding presents or condolence resolutions.--MR. Aug. 2
1901--The County Commissioners, W.L. Beck, R. Hampson and Thomas Crawford, announce that Miami County is now
out of debt and they want it to stay that way.--Aug. 16
1901--Next week the Western Spirit moves to the new brick building second door west of Mallory Opera, using the
ground floor, 115 x 22.--Aug. 16.
1901--St. Patrick’s School will be opened to scholars on Sept. 3. Sisters of Ursuline Academy will conduct the school. A
brick veneered building, 24 x 40, immediately east of the Catholic Church parsonage will be used as preparatory school
for children before entering Ursuline.--Aug. 22.
1901--Luther Douglas White says the reason the natural gas is playing out now is the ground is cracked so generally
and so deep, the gas is escaping and will continue till wet weather comes--Sept.13. Natural gas for fuel is soon to be
past, not nearly enough for last winter and steadily Decreasing.--Aug. 22, 1902. The rain of past week has soaked
pores in the gas line letting the gas escape--Nov. 6, 1903.
1901--The attorney for the MKT RR paid the railroad back taxes for 1896 and 1897 which had been in litigation. The
contention was that the tax was illegal because the County Clerk increased the rate of the state levy because the
valuation was raised and extended the tax--Sept. 13.
1901--Hodges Brothers announce telephone connection of Paola to Chiles, Somerset, Louisburg, Wagstaff, Bucyrus and
Hillsdale. The central toll office is in Mallory Opera House; any patron of the Paola Telephone Exchange having a phone
can talk direct to the places named--MR. Sept. 19.
1901--Now Miami County has a first class private hospital in the hands of reliable resident physicians, Drs. Mott &
VanPelt.--Oct. 4. (Partnership severed in July 1902.)
1901--H.M. McLachlin has purchased the John F. Merrill lumber yard. The Ed S. Boyd lumber will be transferred to the
Merrill yard and consolidated.--MR. Nov. 21.
1901--Persons using hydrant water, until the supply is increased, no waste of water will be tolerated. The use of hose
for washing buggies or any other purpose except to extinguish fires is prohibited--MR. Nov. 29. The Paola Water Co.
received a pump with capacity of 500,000 gallons of water every 24 hours--MR. Dec. 5
1901--An ordinance for license of bowling alleys, ten-pin alleys and shooting galleries was passed. The fee was $20 for
30 days, $50 for 60 days or $2 per day for less than a month.--Dec. 5.
1902--M.E. Thorpe better known as “Buckeye Bill” has bought the B.F. Henry residence 609 E. Kaskaskia better known
as Mallory-Price place.--Mar. 7.
1902--The Frank Koehlers both took scarlet fever and the baby is with grandparents the B.J. Sheridan’s.--Mar. 14
1902--Mr. Martha Smith bequeathed $10,000 to the free public library in Paola.--Apr. 4. Annals of Kansas, pg 360.
1902--The City of Paola is indebted to MR. Charles F.W. Rawson for an ornamental fountain for the Park. It is a metal
cast, representing lilies and a spray in the center.--Apr. 18.
1902--William Loch was bitten on his little finger by a rattlesnake; because of its condition 2 weeks later Dr. Haldeman
had to amputate it.—July 11
1902--Charles E. Jones has refurnished the Crystal Spring Hotel near the Frisco Depot.--July 25.
1902--State tax levy is 60 cents and county levy is 80 cents on each $100 valuation.--Aug. 8.
1902--Sheriff Jelly left for southern Missouri where he has track of the thieves who stole L. Ebert’s harness and wagon.
1902--Dr. A. Reichard drove 900 miles attending his patients during July, with only one team.--Aug. 8.
1902--I.L. Sperling, the Candy Kitchen man, has just put in a new soda fountain.--Aug. 8.
1902--W.F. Parsons has opened up a new billiard parlor in T.W. Rainey’s room on S. side of square-no intoxicants, no
profane language, and no rowdyism.--WS. Aug. 14.
1902--There is another name for the Memorial tablet in the courthouse, James Edward Johnson died at Santa Cruz,
Laguna, Philippine Islands on June 2, 1902.--Aug. 14.
1902--John Hoover bought a new gasoline engine to run the machinery at his carpenter shop.--Aug. 15.
1902--Jim Kane, oldest newspaper man in Miami County, came from his farm to note progress of things in Paola.
1902--This week Dr. Oyster filled orders for 20 gallons of his black ink for use in county district schools.--Aug. 29.
1902--The Walthall Building (Rainey and later H.C. Jones) is to be supplied with a complete steam heating system for
$3,000 for the three stories.--Sept. 5.
1902--The carpenter work on the new amphitheater at the fairgrounds is finished. The grandstand has a seating
capacity of 1,000.--Sept. 5.
1902--The Western Cabinet Co., Paola, received an order from Dawson, Alaska for 24.--Sept. 5.
1902--The Commercial Club’s premiums. for the best kept lawns were awarded by the park commissioner. First Prize: E.
W. Robinson, his gift being a lawn mower; George L. Robinson, second, a lawn settee; and W.H. Gatlin, third, a lawn
swing.--MR. Sept. 18.
1902--The 21st annual meeting of the Kansas Anti-Horse Thief Association was held. The following permanent
organization was chosen in 1901: President, R.E. Mathews; VP, Charles F. Emery; Treasurer, Henry B. Toelle; Marshal,
Robert O’Conner; and Guard, P.H. Rouse.--Oct. 17.
1902--William Gordon’s house near the cemetery is the oldest in this city. It was built in 1855; the walls are of
Hardwood limber.--Dec. 4.
1902--Harry Burton bought Tom Gray’s blacksmith shop, located just west of the Walthall (Rainey) building.--Dec. 4.
1903--An association of all former University of Kansas students living in Miami County was organized at the home of
Miss Issie Potts.--Jan. 1.
1903--Henry Stuart’s Bakery at 17 E. Wea east of the Republican 0ffice burned.--Jan. 2.
1903--Street Commissioner Edwards with men and teams. have been busy the past week removing the surplus
accumulation of mud from the streets around the square.--Jan. 29.
1903--The Christian Church won the Estey organ awarded by the S.W. Davis Furniture Co. to the church organization
receiving the most votes in 1902.--Jan. 30
1903--Dr. L.J. Worthen moved his office from the Walthall building to the Mallory Opera House on the second floor.
WS. Feb. 5.
1903--Ben Bachman has purchased from Dan Neiswender the feed lots east of town which included the building and 4
acres of land formerly the old glass factory.--Feb. 6
1903--The Brotherhood of American Yeoman organized a lodge at McLachlin’s Hall with 40 members. It will be known as
Paola Homestead Lodge No. 100--Mar. 28.
1903--The Harrison Mutual Burial Association of Miami County has nearly 1200 members; their names are on the books
kept at J.T. Suit’s Undertaking place.--Apr. 10.
1903--The Telephone Exchange has a new wagon after the style of a mail wagon with wire screening around the sides
and ends, a covered top and curtains on the sides which can be closed in bad weather.--Apr. 24.
1903--Mrs. G. Gigax and family who live in the east part of town have been the victims of robbery. A month ago they
were chloroformed and about $60 taken.--Apr. 24
1903--This division of the Missouri Pacific has added 17 new engines, mammoth structures weighing 160 tons each;
one went through pulling 68 cars.--Apr. 24.
1903--George Irwin has new row boats and repaired old ones so is now ready for fishing and picnicking parties at the
water works.--May 1.
1903--Lt. Col. Charles S. Flanders inspected KS National Guard throughout state.--WS. May 7.
1903--D.O. Sellers purchased Mrs. Horr’s property in rear of Marble works for storage of Marble stock.--MR. May 8
1903--Sheriff Stevenson bought from the George P. Leavitt widow the 10-room house three blocks south on Silver,
plans to move when his term expires.--May 8.
1903--Thomas Knoop sold residence and lot south of Methodist Church to Luther Minick.--May 8.
1903--Thomas Hodges returned from the State Convention of Modern Woodman of America at Emporia.--May 14.
1903--Sam Baldry who lives alone near the south bridge awoke to find a man in bed with him; thought it was his son
so went back to sleep. Next morning the stranger tried to rob him. Sam had no money so gave him some breakfast and
he left.--MR. May 15.
1903--The salary of postmaster up from $1900 to $2000 yearly and office will go from 3rd class to 2nd class.--May 22.
1903--The Memorial Day procession will form in this order: Band, Civic Societies in uniform, Richland Drum Corps,
McCaslin Post G.A.R., Women’s Relief Corps, school children and vehicles. Graves to be decorated are 123 Civil War
dead, 4 Spanish American War.--May 22.
1903--Four persons from Boicourt bitten by strange dog came to have Dollar’s madstone applied. It stuck on two for 12
hours; on the others it didn’t stick.--May 29.
1903--Paola Tribe No. 30 Improved Order of Red Men officers elected.—June 4.
1903--The flood of 1903 in Kansas City has all industries paralyzed with all streetcars, water and electric systems shut
down. No tickets will be sold to Kansas City at Frisco Depot because their depot there under 3 feet of water.—June 5.
1903--For his customers Elmer Haughey put an electric light in his rubber tired hack.—June 11.
1903--Census population 3,123. Paola made contributions to flood sufferers of $1,000 and a carload of supplies. 1200
carloads of grain were lost last week in the Kansas City flood. Heavy rain caused the end of a building on north side of
park square to fall inward--the old Baptiste brick building erected in 1867 and occupied many years by the Arcade
1903--An excursion to St. Louis costs $4 via MKT to visit the World’s Fairgrounds.—June 12
1903--John Bryan bought 5 rooms. (Old Methodist Church) southwest corner of square.—June 12.
1903--Commencement for 4 Ursuline Academy graduates. Ida Vickers awarded MA at Michigan University after 6-hour
oral exam by 10 professors.—June 19.
1903--Kansas City America Bridge Co. (John Taylor) is putting piers for south bridge with Bushong rock used by railroad
for strength and durability.—June 25.
1903--Frisco has completed its pipeline to Bull Creek; pump engine can also lift coal to chutes. The streets of Paola are
much improved by use of a grader.—June 26.
1903--Colored people of Paola, the Sons and Daughters of Jerusalem, gave a ball at Mallory Opera House.—July 2.
1903--There is talk of putting vitrified brick paving around City Park.—July 3.
1903--The carrying of toy guns by boys is happening to a considerable degree and should be prohibited.--MR. July 3
1903--No celebration of Fourth in Paola but several persons received burns; Jay Trammel was shot in his hand with a
blank cartridge, Cliff Ward had powder picked from face, Harry Peiker a bad burn on leg and Helen Blaisdell on her hand.
1903--Beginning teachers to be paid $40 a month, $4 increase each year until $47.—July 10.
1903--Dr. W.L. Elliott has added an operating table to his horse surgery business at Bryan & Shannon’s Livery barn.—
1903--Drs. Mott and Connell leased upstairs of E.W. Mitchler’s store in Price Block.—July 16.
1903--Paola waterworks plant sold at public auction to highest bidder for cash on hand. John H. Crain of U.S. Court in
1903--Dick Simpson, Dee Scothorne, Elmer English, Henry Ahrens to work in Western Kansas wheat fields-$2-3 a day
and board.—July 16.
1903--J.W. Wren planned to raise his residence to two stories and build a large addition. Two weeks later Mr. Petty
was to build him a new house and the old one was sold to Lafe and Jess Lay.—July 16.
1903--Wm. L Maxwell will build 5 room residence on E. Wea west lot of his father’s.—July 23.
1903--Wm. Fordyce will build residence on north side of Wea opposite Baptist Church—July 24.
1903--John Bryan sold 2-story brick bldg on west side of square occupied by Maher’s Clothing to John and Chas.
1903--Board of education bought 5 carloads of coal, 4,383 bushels, which will furnish fuel for North and South schools
fall and winter.--Aug. 6.
1903--The 1903 graduates of the rural schools of the county held their exercises in the Opera House; 103 is the largest
class ever graduated.--Aug. 7.
1903--Splendid brick street crossings have been built at the southwest corner of park. In another two years no town in
the state will have better walks than we have.--Aug. 7.
1903--Having a Separator at the county farm for one month, Mr. Anna Randel, Supt. has sold 135 pounds of
1903--Citizen’s Bank received charter with capital of $10,000. George Kingsley, W.T. Johnston and John Hoover,
stockholders.--WS. Aug. 20.
1903--Special meeting of Lodge No. 37 A.F. and A.M. next Friday.--WS. Aug. 20.
1903--Homer Clifton had a bullet in his leg for 14 years until Drs. Mott and Connell used new X-ray to locate it
1903--Paola Telephone Co. installed a new system; to get central you lift receiver and replace it to automatically ring
1903--A. Rohrer is having a splendid 7-room house and large barn built on his property in northeast part of town.
1903--John C. Sheridan Estate is turned over to Geo. Kingsley, guardian of three minor children after death of Mr.
Sheridan.--WS. Sept. 2.
1903 --New buildings: Sponable & Donahoe, Post Office and Frank Koehler’s addition to pop and mineral water factory.
1903--Republican this week appears in new shorter and more pages, eight.--Sept. 3.
1903--MR. and Mr. A. F. McLachlin moved into handsome new home on E. Peoria.--MR. Sept. 4.
1903--Rain spoiled Miami Co. Fair but Friday an estimated crowd of 8,000 paid admissions. Races were good.--WS.
1903--School board raised age limit for school from 5 to 6 years.—MR. Sept. 18.
1903--Gus Sogemeier moved drug store from northwest corner of square to old opera house on west side. The room
vacated is being fitted up with vault for Citizens State Bank.--WS. Sept. 24.
1903 --Alex Hamlin returned from Lane Co. where he bought 5 carloads of hard winter wheat for his mills.--WS. Oct. 1.
1903--The Board of Public Library received a splendid memorial photo album by J.B. Hobson. One photo received from
Dr. G.W. Brown of Rockford IL an ambrotype taken in 1863 of Paola looking north to hill where Baptiste Peoria lived. It
was taken from roof of Wm. Sherman’s, north side of park square.--MR. Oct. 2.
1903--Like old times Warren Price working at the Drug Store which he sold to Ringer--WS. Oct. 8.
1903--From Sunday to Wednesday 510 excursion tickets sold from Paola to Kansas City by Frisco and Missouri Pacific.--
MR. Oct. 9
1903--Ursuline addition, 50 x 118 will join present building on the west, brick with basement and 3 stories.--MR. Oct. 16.
1903--Fifty men from county organized as committee of 100 to work with temperance league in suppressing liquor
traffic.--MR. Oct. 16.
1903--H.A. Floyd, real estate, sold brick building occupied by Ahrens Mercantile to C.H. McKeon.--WS. Oct. 22.
1903--Jacob Koehler sold the house and lot adjoining his on E. Wea to Perry Lowe.--MR. Oct. 23.
1903--A local young colored man in wholesale whiskey business sent a Kentucky Co. the names of 20 people with an
order of a gallon to be sent C.O.D. They were not accepted.--MR. Oct. 30.
1903--Total school enrollment 730, High School 140 and Grades 590.--Oct. 30.
1903--Wm. Schwartz sold Paola Brick & Tile to S. G. Norris, KC. who will be in charge making 20,000 bricks daily and will
increase in spring. He thinks shale bed of brick yard the best he has seen for all classes of brick and tile.--MR. Oct. 30.
1903--Last year Clint M. Rosco hurt in street car accident in KC sued for $100,000; jury awarded $10,000 damages.--
WS. Nov. 5.
1903--Blind Boon, noted colored pianist gave a concert at the opera house. He is nephew of Aunt Tabitha Miller. His
home in Warrensburg burned the last of August; he also lost his green parrot that he had carried all over this country
and Europe. His boyhood days were spent here.--Nov. 20.
1903--The fair association has Decided all exhibits and race entries are to be confined to Miami County residents.
1903—D.A. Bumgarner sold the block of ground and building (lunch house) west of Frisco to Jacob Koehler.--MR. Dec. 18.
1904--A meeting will be held at Mallory Hall for the purpose of organizing a company of National Guards here.--Feb. 19.
1904--Charles Griffith purchased in KC a fine $875 Cadillac. They made the trip home in 3½ hours. It was the first auto
owned in Paola and attracted a great deal of attention.--Mar. 11.
1904--B.R. Keith sold undertaking business to Miami County Mercantile Co.--May 13.
1904--William Schwartz was the first member of his family to serve Citizen’s Bank as President. In 1910 son, T.E. joined
him until 1914, also later L.M., grandson.--WS. Jun 10, 1968.
1904--Walnut Park became Camp Sheridan, 21st KS G.A.R. Reunion. See 5/27; 6/17 and 9/16. It required $500 to pay
for expenses: band, straw, wood, transport of 300 tents state would loan. The Presbyterian dining hall cleared $100
and Christian Church a like amount on their refreshment booth. The enrollment of old soldiers was about 800; 22 state
represented; KS, 201; IL, 162; IN, 64; IA, 47. Geo. W. Quimby was commander of McCaslin Post GAR.--Sept. 6-10.
1904--Presbyterian Church on E. Peoria sold by Buckeye Bill Thorpe for $295. The purpose is to erect a new building on
the site of the old one.—June 17. (In January of 1905, they were occupying the basement of the new church.) T.M.
Hobson moved the old building to 2 blocks north of northeast corner of park square to make it into 2 dwelling houses.--
1904--Mr. J.W. Sponable has purchased and donated a lot and one-half to the Congregational Church for a parsonage.
1904--Many of our citizens are attending the St. Louis Worlds Fair. 75 tickets were sold here the past week.—Sept. 16.
1904--The county fair had various good races, few cattle and hogs, grain exhibits, Floral Hall, poultry showing and
merchants’ displays lighter than usual.--Sept. 30.
1904--Since May 1, more than $300,000 has been spent developing the oil well fields, and 400 people added to the city’
s population.--Dec. 2.
1905--W.W. Culbertson was appointed by the Mayor and Council to take charge of the Smallpox quarantine. By the
next morning he had the 9 cases located and guards in charge.—MR. Jan. 13. (Not a single death—Jan. 20). Many cases
of smallpox, 147 white and 27 colored; most did not survive.—HK. 1926.
1905--Capt. E.P. of the Commercial Hotel has given the Presbyterian Church an elegant pulpit Bible, one of the best
made, which he ordered from Chicago--WS. Feb. 10.
1905--S.S. Clover died February 5, in the Indian Territory at Vinita, OK. He was the eldest
son of General Seth Clover and came here with his father in 1857. His father was Indian Agent, and being raised
among the tribes, he knew more history of their families and tribal relations than any man who ever lived in the county.
--WS. Feb. 10.
1905--C.J. Hafey turned two more tanks full of oil into the Standard’s pipes; making 3,500 barrels from one well near
the cemetery. Beatty Bros. will empty 3 of their tanks today.--Feb. 24.
1905--Adv.-New boilers, apparatus at old stand to make sorghum. Farmers please let me know
how many acres of cane they will plant. Robert Harris.--Apr. 28.
1905--As a test, streets in Paola were sprinkled with crude oil. 1905 Annals of Kansas, pg. 420. J.W. Williams. is
sprinkling the streets around the park with crude oil at 10 cents a running foot, a store with 22 feet frontage pays
$2.20 for the season.--May 5.
1905--The franchise of the waterworks expires after 20 years. Judge Robinson has been manager during the entire
1905--The remodeling of the Baptist Church has begun; the old building will be turned to stand east and west and will
stand back forty feet from the street.--Aug. 4.
1905--Paul Mabes, of Northern Germany, arrived here; a nephew of A. Wishropp, he will attend school here this winter.
(He stayed 60 years and was a well known grocer.)--Aug. 25.
1905--Hon. E.H. Funston will address the Miami Law and Order League at a rally.--Sept. 1.
1905--For $425 MR. Bigelow sold 17 feet of (Baptist) church grounds to be used as site of the new public library;
Sponable Estate for $1 sold a lot to be held in trust for a library. Mary Crider sold to John W. Sponable Lot 5 Block 18,
Paola City.--MR. July. The old frame library building was moved to west side of the street.--Sept. 1. (Later it was
auctioned, moved and became kitchen annex to the Methodist Church on the north side. Many dinners were cooked
there including food for people during a murder trial.)--ejh
1905--Last week the first golf match ever witnessed here was played in Smith’s pasture between R.R. Robertson and
George Durkee against Dr. T.G. Vernon and Quince Smith.--Oct. 6.
1906--O.F. McLaughlin building east side of square occupied 36 years by Ahrens was sold to Emil Schumann.--Jan. 19.
Ahrens has taken acetylene lights out and put in gas.—WS. July 13.
1906--Fred Ruby and Charles Gartner bought Condon’s interest in the oldest hardware and seed house in Miami
County, founded in 1868.--Jan. 29.
1906--Clarence Emery and E. D. Boyd purchased lots in 3rd block east of Congregational Church where they will move
houses and build 2 modern residences on 2 lots east of library.--MR. Feb. 13.
1906--The winter has been so warm no ice has been put up.—Feb. 23. (Helped whooping cough epidemic.--April 6)
1906--The formal opening of the new Paola Free Library had every seat occupied. A reception was given; Kittie Hobson
is librarian.--Apr. 13. The Paola High School annual, the first ever issued, will soon be on sale for $1 (1906).--Apr. 28.
1906--Paola did herself proud in the generous contribution given the unfortunate in San Francisco earthquake with loss
of life 30-500 and injured 1-2,000.--WS. Apr. 18, 24. On the car of flour purchased and donated is painted a banner
with “Remember the Golden Rule. From the people of Miami County to San Francisco.”--WS. May 4.
1906--There will likely be some arrests of persons who have neglected to have manure piles removed from their alleys
and other rubbish hauled.--May 4.
1906--Joseph Cook has deeded to the Board of Education the northeast quarter section of land of S33, T16, R22. The
rents and profits are to be used for purchasing clothing, books, and other supplies for poor children who live in District
21.--WS. May 18
1906--Dennis property on northwest corner of square sold to Oyster Bros.--Jan. 29. Emil Schumann purchased the H.M.
McLachlin building on the north side of the square, better known as the Price Block.--WS. May 18.
1906--The 5 store buildings on the southwest corner of the square known as the Gibson Block was traded for 480
acres of oil property in Indian Territory. The same block was sold by MR. Curl to Louis Baehr for $12,000.--WS. June 29.
1906--Work at the Missouri Pacific station is on a 100,000 gallon tank to rest on a concrete base with a standpipe on
the north extreme end of the platform so trains can take on water while stopped.--WS. July 6.
1906--The Crystal Ice Co. have their plant in good running order. Their pump set in large drilled well, failed to work so
they are using city water works. After new pump they intend to use water from well.--MR. July 13.
1906--W.C. Barren has sold 2.79 acres of cemetery land back to the city; three wells were sunk on it which produced
upwards of 7,000 barrels of oil.--WS. July 13.
1906--Ninety-five cents on the hundred dollars assessed value is the county rate of taxation. This is getting down
some.--WS. Aug. 10.
1906--John O’Rourke has leased the old Schroeder lumber yard grounds and will open a wagon yard and feed stable.--
WS. Aug. 17.
1906--Adolph Roth was the first grocer who sold bananas in ’73. He ordered them from New York, paid $10 a bunch
and retailed at 10 cents each.--WS. Aug. 31.
1906--Alex Hodges bought D.O. Banta’s house on 201 E. Wea and moved it and made it into two houses, larger 2-story
at 202 E. Shawnee and the smaller 204 E. Shawnee.--MR. Sept. 14.
1906--Berkley Carver is doing a nice piece of carving on the door arch in the Sellers Building.--WS. Sept. 14. 25
1906--An aggregation of women baseball players struck town last Sunday. A female band is bad enough, but when it
comes to women trying to show their athletic skill in baseball----WS. Sept. 21.
1906--The second district Federation of Women’s Clubs was formed five years ago by the late Mr. Ella Kingsley who
was its first president.--Oct. 12.
1906--The levy for the Library is 2 mills this year, about $1,600, which ought to run it for two years.—WS. Oct. 5.
1906--Kerosene is selling for 10 cents a gallon; as soon as the Paola Refinery got going the Standard cut the price from
20 cents.--WS. Oct. 5. The people in the country demand the Paola made oil and it is sold as cheap and is equally as
good as the foreign made.--WS. Nov. 16. The refinery has its wax plant in operation making parafine and higher grades
of lubrication.--Dec. 7.
1906--Dr. D.V. Mott, with new office upstairs over Miami County Mercantile Co. Building south of Post Office, has
practiced 20 years.--MR. Oct. 16. (In 1907 he successfully removed a tape-worm, measuring 30 feet from a Paola
citizen.)--Mar. 13, 1907.
1906--It looks now that the best thing to do is issue the $25,000 electric light bonds and put the town out of the grasp
of any gas company on light supply.--WS. Oct. 19.
1906--A number of fires have been caused by sparks from train engines.--Nov. 2.
1906--Tom Sanders has bought Elmer Powell’s interest in the South Side Barber business. Splendid baths and Tom
Payton’s shoe polish chair are run with this place.--WS. Nov. 9.
1906--The Crystal Ice Co. will close down for the winter. George Pfanstiel is busy filling the cold storage with ice for the
Missouri Pacific’s water consumption, a car each week.--WS. Nov. 16.
1906--The children of St. Patrick’s school will hold a bazaar at the Mallory opera house; proceeds will go towards
Munich window for the new Catholic Church.--WS. Nov. 27.
1907--After renting the 3-story brick house at 310 S. Silver in 1901 for a hospital, Dr. VanPelt in 1907 built another
story on his cottage at 210 S. Pearl and operated a hospital there. It was disbanded later. (Torn down in 1960s)--ejh
1907--Ahrens Mercantile completed arrangements with Architect Washburn, of Ottawa, for remodeling of CC Boxley
Building and the one adjoining on east, another story added to west building, in present location since 1885, also in
regard to erecting a new store building on the south side of the park.--MR. Jan. 4.
1907--Paola chickens won 10 of 15 battles in the cocking main fought at Leavenworth, the wager on the fight was for a
purse of $500.--Jan. 4.
1907--Radiator factory ready; brick and tile will begin when water main connected.--MR. Mar. 13.
1907—J.B. Hobson and S.B. Cowell held their annual meeting to celebrate their arrival in Miami Co. 50 years ago. Apr.1.
1907--The new Holy Trinity Catholic Church was dedicated Apr. 1. Bishop Thomas Gillis, Leavenworth, officiated.--MR.
1907--The Paola Refinery Company purchased a block on W. Wea, north of flouring mill. They will build a 2-story
warehouse, cooper shop and others buildings.--MR. May.
1907--Numerous complaints to City Marshal Taylor, chickens not being cooped may find owners in police court.—July 12.
1907--The Commercial Hotel uses 3 registers a year, approx. 15,000 signatures in a year.—July 12.
1907--Fire that destroyed 1/2 block of buildings on S. Silver burned an oldest landmark. The frame building behind C.W.
Carr Implements and purchased by E.T. Fowler for a grain storehouse, was “Paola House” first hotel erected in Eastern
1907--Except for WWI Frank Tomlinson in hardware business on east side then moved to north side, with Western
Auto until 1950.--1907.
1907--Henry Dollar has sworn out a warrant charging Chas. Hatcher with stealing his madstone, valued at $500. The
stone was owned by Mr. Dollar for many years and treated many people.--Aug. 16.
1907--An old cottonwood tree in front of Commercial Hotel was chopped down; Baptiste Peoria built a house in 1855
on the lot where the hotel now stands and the tree came up in front of his house.--Aug. 23.
1907--Old Silver Street Hotel being torn down, H.M. McLachlin says it was built 1859; he lived in it until 1863. He hauled
logs and then the lumber.--MR. Aug. 30.
1907--The afternoon circus crowd was around 8,000, some from 20 to 30 miles away.--Sept. 6.
1907--The Pearl Mill and Elevator burned; A.N. Protzman and Robert Ewbank, owners, had some insurance.--Sept. t. 6.
1907--The gas company is installing a six-ton compressor on the Link Flanagan farm southwest of town. The gas supply
will be increased by the pumping of the gas from the lines.--Sept. 13.
1907--The Refining Co. received a large sulphuric acid tank and a 3,200 barrel tank to be used for refined oil.--Sept. 13.
1907--The Republican office will move to the Taylor Bros. building on the west side of the square.--Sept. 13.
1907--Neeva Neal (Dolpha Neal Baehr’s sister) and Chas. Beckman were Married by Probate Judge Hodges in the Miami
County courtroom. Because heavy rains made it necessary to declare the Fair off, the wedding took place in the court
room; the inducement for this public wedding was furniture and keepsakes given by different business firms here and
the desire of the worthy couple to help the Fair.--MR. Oct. 4.
1907--Wea Street is now paved from the railroad track to Ursuline, So, Paola has one street that is a beauty. Peoria St.
will not be finished for several months.--MR. Oct. 18.
1907--Henry J. Allen, Wichita, will deliver a lecture some time in January to start the soldier’s statue fund.--Dec. 6.
(Severe weather caused cancellation.)
1907--Rudy and Gartner shipped a carload of red clover seed to Reading, PA, mostly raised by Miami County farmers
and is the highest priced car that ever left the Paola Depot. (Thomas Pickles is now with Frank Rudy the hardware and
seed man.)--Mar. 6, 1908.
1908--P.H. Grimes purchased the Oyster Estate Building occupied by his drug store on the north side of the square.--
1908--Next spring 50 young squirrels will be put in the city park; there have been few additions since 1895.--Jan. 13.
1908--The County Board has appointed Dr. J.H. Haldeman as County Health Warden; Dr. Joseph Fowler was appointed
county physician.--MR. Jan. 13
1908--Hon. Wm. Jennings Bryan spoke to the largest ever audience in the Mallory Opera House (without charge) for
benefit of fund for the Kansas soldier statue in the Park.--Mar. 20.
1908--The Sunday closing law will be enforced after April 1; merchants and clerks need one day’s rest.--Mar. 20.
1908--Nickel theater changed hands; Oyster Bros. sold to T.W. Ellis. Floor was elevated and opera chairs were put in
OK Theater until 1922. It became Russell’s Variety Store later Swan River Museum. Theater paid $1.50 weekly for
orchestra and piano to accompany silent movies.--May 1.
1908--Jacob Koehler sold restaurant and confectionery to Chas. Mundell; Koehler there since 1873.--MR. May 1
1908--Early Sunday morning the old Paola Packing Plant in north part of town burned with hog houses, stock pens, and
office of Anderson Livestock Co.--MR. May 8.
1908--Do you remember when all country restaurants sold “Lincoln Pie” It was baked in a bread pan and had bottom,
middle and top crusts. Filling was water, flour, sugar, vinegar and currants. A square size of a brick was 5 cents and
everyone bought it.--May 29.
1908--J.I. Huber sold lease and furniture of Commercial Hotel to George and E.J. Wilkes.—June 12.
1908--The weather on Memorial Day was perfect. The column (of people) to the cemetery was about 5 blocks long, an
imposing sight.—June 12.
1908--Prof. Ritchie Robertson and Miss Lillie M. Peters were married in their cottage; she made the 5,000 mile trip from
Aberdour, Scotland.--MR. June 12.
1908--Persons desiring tents for Chautauqua July 24-Aug. 2 may pick location if they place order now.--MR. June 19.
1908--E. W. Mitchler will build a 2-story brick house on E. Wea, cost $6,000.--MR. June 26.
1908--Paola Land and Loan Co. office in Frank Koehler building, east of square: A. Fisher, WH Lyon, Paul and J.E.
Russell members of firm. Frank Koehler put up a new canvas sun blind in front of his harness shop.—July 23.
1908--W. Z. Garman the cobbler upstairs in Wilgus Building at southeast corner of square uses same bench made from
a dry goods box since 1877. He will take 10 days at Chautauqua.—July 23.
1908--People complaining about old frame shack erected in 1882, for use as a city building. Mayor and Council called for
an election Nov. 3, 1908 for issuing bonds. In Feb. the old building was sold and torn down; clerk had temporary office
in Peiker and Scheer’s building.--MR. Oct. 30.
1909--Edward Lykins, Miami, OK, claims to be first white child born in the county, was here to erect a tombstone in city
cemetery in memory of his mother and visit cousins Mr. M.E. Hoover and Mr. E.J. Heiskel--Feb. 17.
1909--A cow walked in the open door of C.C. Boxley’s grocery and caused consternation as she headed for dish
1909--Wm. B. Henson sold his half to his partner Adolph Wishropp south side grocer.--Feb. 24.
1909--No baseball on Sunday afternoon, Mr. Flinn who owns the park signed contract with anti-Sunday baseball faction.
1909--A Bell Telephone booth installed in corridor of Courthouse.--Mar. 30.
1909--Old Wea Mission burned one mile east of town; one of the oldest landmarks. David Lykins, missionary, erected
the log building. Later it was sold to Robert McGrath. John Day was living there.--Apr. 27.
1909--The Colored people of Baptist church will have baptisms at Bull Creek Ford.--Apr. 27.
1909--Blaine Duncan, 21, in charge, American Express office youngest employee ever.--May 11.
1909--J.E. Maxwell sold law office to R.E. and E.H. Coughlin on second floor on south side of Condon Building.--May 18.
Maxwell sold his house on E. Wea to D.O. Sellers.—June 29.
1909--New liquor law cancels all permits of druggists.--May 25.
1909--Jabez O. Rankin appointed Judge 10th Judicial Dist. after W.H. Sheldon’s death.—June 8.
1909--Sid Rawson has burro pulling skeleton wagon taking him to and from Frisco Lunch counter.—June 8.
1909--Walnut Grove Park is ready for July Fourth with Orator R.E. Coughlin and Ed Hiner’s 3rd Regiment Band.
1909--McLaughlin grocery moved from north to south side of square, Cummings building first door east of Ahrens Dry
1909--William Jennings Bryan will lecture on the opening day of the Chautauqua. Hot weather caused the moving
picture shows to shut down for a time. Nineteen passengers piled into Toman’s wagonette after the Chautauqua. In
coming over the Frisco crossing the wagon springs broke and the entire party had to walk home.--July 27.
1909--John Hoover carpenter sold his home south of the Free Library to Rev. R.H. Sherar.--Aug. 3.
1909--The “Camp of 3 Sisters” on Wea Creek closed; it was a popular resort for Paola people. During the last month
there were 75 persons as guests.--Aug. 19.
1909--Adv.--If you have a horse and buggy, Cox at Star Feed and Boarding Barn east of the Courthouse will take care
of both.--Aug. 24
1909--The order of State Board of Health: abolish all common drinking cups in public. Public is divided about it.--Aug. 31.
1909--New City Hall completed on property owned by city since 1873. City Manager notes Washburn & Sons designed
the City Hall, cost $9,905, a 42x90 Paola brick with black mortar and a tile roof by John H. Petty. First floor: Clerk‘s office
and Fire Department with horses stalls. Second floor: Council, offices of Police Judge, City Attorney and Mayor and
firemen‘s bed-rooms.. The 400 pound fire warning bell bought in 1876 for $150 was erected in the cupola. The
volunteer fire department was started after the Chicago Fire.--MR. Sept. 9.
1909--J.L. Lowe has taken a 3 year lease on the Oyster Bros. building on the northwest corner of the Square, occupied
by Taylor Bros., and will move his implement stock there.--Dec. 30.
1909--Will DeFord in KC purchased a Ford runabout; the enclosed rear seat makes winter driving enjoyable.--WS.
1909--Horse races held in old Walnut Grove race track. Other activities there, too.
1910--Large fire in Schumann Building: loss $7,000; Mitchler’s; Ringer’s drugs, Paxton’s jewelry; Dr. Brookings’ library
and furniture; B.T. Riley’s law office; S.E. Croan’s; Beery’s Recreation; the Oyster Building and others.--Jan. 7.
1910--The rain with melting snow brought streams up suddenly with danger from moving 12 inch ice.--Jan. 14.
1910--The house occupied by Elmer Haughty, one block north of the Square, has stood since 1856, one of the first
erected in Paola, made of walnut and oak by Cy and Knowles Shaw, both now dead.--Oct. 4.
1910--Ursuline Sisters have bought 18 acres south of Academy from Sponables.--Nov. 29.
1910--Thirty couples danced to Pumphrey’s orchestra at the old skating rink; first of series every 2 weeks by local
young people.--Nov. 29.
1910--Signatures of 300 petitioners made City Council put on ballot to issue $10,000 in bonds to purchase Wallace and
Tryon land for a public park; Wallace Park bought Apr. 17, 1911, deeded Jun 1, 1912.
a 150 year history in detail