a 150 year history in detail
1880— From a reference book, George Washington Carver-Scientist and Symbol by Linda O. McMurry, page 23 records:
"After about a year the Seymour’s migrated to Minneapolis, Kansas, and Carver moved in with the Richard Moore family
in nearby Paola until he followed the Seymour’s to Minneapolis during the summer of 1880." He made sketches of local
plants while he lived in Miami County.
1880--In George Washington Carver An American Biography by Rackham Holt, the author recounts a story of George
Washington Carver playing an accordion in an upstairs room in Paola.
1880—“Another colony of orphan children arrived from New York.”-- Western Spirit, Oct.29,
1880--Research at the Swan River Museum indicates that orphan trains arrived in Paola on September 10, October 22,
and November 13, 1880.
1880—“The Scherman building on the north side of the square was extended back 15 feet-both upper and lower
stories.” (This small building that is still occupied in 2005 was just west of a wide stairway in middle of the block. The
stairway was removed in May or June of 1983; so the little alley-way where the stairway was built allows the original
rock walls to be clearly visible along the east side of the building.)
1880—“Immigration and Agricultural Society organized at Paola Hall.”
1880—“Paola City previousoy had an East Ward and a West Ward for votors. Four wards were created in April of 1880.
1880— “Upon the suggestion of John Sponable, mayor of Paola, the upper two rooms of the new city building on East
Peoria were used as a library room. The books of the Miami County Teachers’ Library had previously been turned over
to the city. In 1893 the library was moved to its location at 101 East Peoria.”--From The Story of Paola-1857-1950.
1881—“Miss Flora Torrey Wagstaff was admitted to the Bar and will practice law in this county.” Her obituary notes that
she came from New York with her family in 1857. Upon the death of her father, Col. Harry Torrey, her mother married
W. R. Wagstaff.
1882--- The Commercial Hotel was built by H.H. Grimshaw in 1882. The original part of the hotel consisted of three
stories in height and 26 rooms. (Note 1888 entry with picture and an 1892 Commercial Hotel entry from the Annals of
1883---Mary Ann Isaac Peoria died at her cottage on the northeast corner of Piankishaw and East treet on March 4,
1883. Her funeral was held at Holy Trinity Church and she was buried beside her first husband Christmas Dagnette in
the Indian Cemetery some three and a half miles south of Louisburg.
1883—“A black man was hanged from a tree in the Park Square February 9, 1883. Henry Smith was charged and jailed
with having outraged the little daughter of Hugh Bennings. Henry was a brother of Polk Smith. When Sheriff Long
refused to let a mob into the jail, the doors were broken in. Hearing the pounding outside, Smith, the prisoner, cut his
throat with a razor, and when the frenzied men got to him in the cell, he was dying or dead. They tied the rope about
his neck, and with a yell, started out. It was a long rope, and there must have been fifty men holding it. The body was
dragged from the jail back of the Rainey block to the northeast side of the Park Square where it was stretched up to a
tree and left hanging there. Coroner’s inquest decided that he came to his death by his own hand. Polk Smith took the
body and buried it in the cemetery. The little colored girl afterward confessed that her charge was untrue and that she
made it up because Smith quit giving her candy when she asked him for it.”
1883–Dr. Woodson D. Hoover was elected mayor on the Temperance Ticket--Andreas History of Kansas
By 1884 six church congregations that are still active in 2005 had been established. In order of their appearance in
Paola history, there came the Catholic, United Methodist, First Baptist, Mt. Olive Baptist, United Presbyterian, St. James
AME and First Christian.--History of the Churches of Miami County Kansas, 1976.
1884—“Cy Shaw is moving into his new cottage this week.” The land for the house was purchased from Antipas
Thomas who had bought the lots from Elizabeth and David Perry, Baptiste Peoria’s daughter and her husband, in
August 6, 1869. Antipas Thomas then sold the lots to Cyrus and Malona Shaw six months later.
Cyrus Shaw was one of the earliest settlers in the county. His obituary notes that he came to Paola in August, 1854.
He clerked for a year for Baptiste Peoria and then started a general store on Peoria Street. In 1856 he was elected the
first county treasurer; and in 1858 he received a contract to carry the U. S. mail from Westport to Ft. Scott. He ran the
first stages with four-horse coaches ever put on that route. After running the coach line service, he had a grist mill, saw
mill, grocery store, was a bookkeeper, deputy postmaster and then a county commissioner from 1867 too 1871.—
Malona Smith Shaw, his wife, was the first Paola school teacher. She taught in a subscription school in 1857.
1886—“The water pumping station was built. Previously water was obtained from cisterns and wells.”
1886—“Paola's new water tower is going up at the rate of four feet a day and will soon be completed.”
1886—“Paola voted $20,000 for building the Kansas City and Southwestern Railroad.” -- Annals of Kansas, 1886-1910,
1886—“Paola was lighted from gas from a 310 foot well.”--Annals of Kansas
1886—“Paola Free Library had 3,000 book.”--Annals of Kansas.
1886—J.W. Price, druggist, erected a two-story building at the northeast corner of Park Square. He sold his drug store
to Ringer and Emery in 1899. The building, known as Price Block, was later known as the Schumann Block.--J.W. Price’s
obituary, Swan River Museum.
1886—“Park Square had light installed in it. The fish pond did not have a fence until after a probate judge fell in one
1887—“Paola is located about the center of the natural gas field of the west. Paola is the only town west of the
Mississippi River lighted with natural gas! Paola is the only town west of the Mississippi in which two hundred stoves in
private families are heated with natural gas! Paola is the only town west of the Mississippi in which the largest power
engines use natural gas for fuel; and the only town so far as known having under it a 48 inch vein of coal only 439 feet
below the surface. One of the largest glass factories in the country is now preparing to move their plant to Paola.” --
This quote by W.D. Greason, Secretary of Board of Trade, Paola, is from an article in the April 27, 1887 Miami Republican.
1887—“Natural gas is attracting the attention of capitalists where ever it is found in the west. Saturday our reporter
went to Kansas City and took with him 2,000 circulars announcing the advantages of Paola and was considerably
surprised to find the public so anxious to learn the full particulars concerning the Paola Gas Field and as to our future
prospects. While there we distributed the advertising material in all the leading hotels, ticket offices and many other
leading business houses.”-- Miami Republican, May 20, 1887.
1887—“The Paola Gas Co. furnishes their gas to Paola and runs it seven miles into town. They have the whole town
lighted with it and now furnish two hundred stoves in the city with fuel and also a large flouring mill, which is supplied
by six half- inch burners, the capacity of this mill is one hundred barrels of flour per day. This Paola Business seems to
be one of the most wonderful achievements made with natural gas west of the Mississippi River.”-- Miami Republican ,
May 27, 1887.
1887—“S.P. Boon is making a beautiful park at the gas wells in the Boon Field. The underbrush has nearly all been
cleared out and in a few days it will be one of the handsomest parks in this section and best of all it will be lighted by
natural gas.” --Miami Republican , June 24, 1887.
1887—From the Miami Republican following the Gas Celebration June 28, 1887: “Tuesday was a lovely day and the
event of the natural gas celebration brought thousands of people to Paola from all sections of the country to witness
the first natural gas display that was ever made in the west. The early trains from the south brought scores of people
from Ft. Scott and other southern points, and when the excursion had arrived from Kansas City, the town was one solid
mass of people. Hundreds of farmers from this and adjoining counties came in with their wagons and most of them met
at the depot and assisted in getting the people over the city and to the natural gas display in the Boon field. When the
procession arrived.... the gas was turned on in well number two which was filled with water. The force of gas carried
the water upward to a height of nearly a hundred feet…It was something new to see a beautiful flame of such
magnitude intermingled with water. After the speeches, all got in their wagons and carriages and came back
to town where a free dinner was in readiness for their action in the Hayes Grove in the Findlay addition just north of
the city...Early in the evening the people began to throng in the park and around the square in order to be ready to
notice the illumination. An excellent band accompanied the excursion from Kansas City and discoursed music all through
the day. McCaslin Post band of Paola, as usual, rendered some fine music.......The display around the square was good
and showed clearly the beauties of natural gas....The handsomest little illumination we noticed in business circles was
gas attached to a yard sprinkler by a rubber hose. When it was ignited there appeared a nest of small blazes which
were beautiful and attractive....H.H. Grimshaw, H.M. McLachlin, C.H. Mallory, J.S. Wheeler and A.D. States had
magnificent home illuminations...The fire company were out in full dress with their carts and wagons finely decorated.
Flags were waving to the breeze all around the square....There were numerous home water displays which in
connection with the gas made Paola one perfect bower of beauty from morning till night.”
1887—“Local artist, Floyd, is taking some very fine views of the scenery in and around Paola.”-- Miami Republican , July
1887—“Paola Glassworks turned out the first bottles made west of the Mississippi River.” -- Annals of Kansas, 1886-
1887—“December 16, 1887, the glass plant shut down due to the cutting off of gas supply. (See breach of contract suit
filed by Paola Glass Company vs. Paola Gas company in 1889 entry.)
1887—“Work on the Engel crematory was commenced yesterday and the furnace will be in operation next week. This is
the best garbage and filter destroyer in the world and Paola may well congratulate herself on its advent into our city.”--
Miami Republican, June 24, 1887.
1887--- In the Miami Republican "Paola's Colored People" column, it was written that there was a colored club called
Western Enterprise Club.
1887—“The League of American Wheelmen held their second annual meeting in Paola on July 18, 1887.” A special
TRIBUNE correspondence, July 18, 1887, relates that many attending the bicycle races visited the gas wells and the
Paola Roller Mill whose steam boilers were fueled by natural gas, not coal.
1888—“The first W.C.T.U. convention of Miami County will be held in the Paola Presbyterian Church June 7.”
1888–“Lou Baehr's team ran away with his ice wagon last Tuesday, damaging the wagon.” (This is the same man that
has a foundation named after him--the very foundation that helped finance this book!)
1888—“The Salvation Army is holding forth nightly at the Flanders rink with large and interested audiences.”
1888—“Steps have been taken for the organization of a company to prospect for coal, oil, gas, etc., the primary object
1888—“The factory erected a few months ago by Sogomeier & Estelle, for working the lint of flax and hemp is now in
full operation. The mill is located on the hill in Sim's Addition.”
1888—“Grandma Wakefield died Tuesday night in Paola at the age of 98 years. She came to Miami County in 1856. Her
request was that she be buried in the old Mission graveyard just east of Paola. She was buried there, the first burial to
take place there for more than 20 years.”
1888—“Farmers coming into Paola should leave their dogs at home or tie them to the wagon. The scare in town about
mad dogs has made it necessary to kill off all the dogs in town that are not muzzled.”
1888—“J.W. Price & Co. gave notice that they had filed in the office of the probate judge of Miami County a petition for
a druggist’s permit to sell intoxicating liquors. The petition will be heard before the probate judge on the 15th of this
coming May.” (Since Kansas had approved state-wide prohibition in 1880, intoxicating liquors could now legally be sold
only in approved businesses.)
1888---“A strong pole, twenty feet high raised from the top of the Commercial Hotel blazes all night long with natural
gas carried by a small pipe.”
1888-- In The Story of Paola, Art McLachlin remembers lighting the street lights at night. He said, "In the middle
eighties, Paola took on life. A syndicate struck several oil and gas wells in the east part of the county. They had quite a
time getting a franchise from the city council, but finally did so by giving the city 80 street lights, fuel and light for the
city hall, fire department and library. My job from the company was to light the street lights at night and turn them off in
the morning, for which I received $15.00 per month"
1888—“Gas mains are being laid to the different school buildings in Paola for the purpose of heating them the coming
1889—“At last the ordinance allowing meat markets to be open on Sunday till 9 a.m. has been passed and those who
can’t afford ice but can buy fresh meat have privilege of doing it on Sunday morning.”
1889—“Cows are turned out in the morning to take their own way to the boulevard, browsing in yards, tramping over
parks and sidewalks. The city has rented the Ennis lot adjoining the corner livery stable and fixed it up for a pound, but
it is apparently for style and not for use.”
1889—“The street sprinkler is one of the best investments our business men have made.”Ethel J. Hunt, in her “History
of Paola”, said merchants liked to keep their front doors open to attract trade in the summer time, but the dust was so
thick it was a problem. Finally Bill Cox hitched his team to a flatbed with a water tank, and for 50 cents a week would
sprinkle the water on the streets in front of the stores.
1889—“The Knights of Pythias gave a grand banquet Tuesday night in commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the
order. It was a brilliant affair.”
1889—Several 1887 newspaper articles tell of the opening and closing of the glass factory that was in operation for
just a few months. Below is the contract between the glass company and the Paola Gas Company and the results of a
lawsuit filed concerning the closing of the glass factory.
The oil boom of the 1880's created wealth for some local citizens and newly arriving entrepreneurs. With that wealth
came the desire for cultural and social niceties. Service, social and cultural organizations flourished. There was strong
leadership from Paola’s two major minority groups-“colored” citizens and women seeking the right to vote. Indian
citizens still lived in Paola, but most of the leaders had moved to the Oklahoma Territory.
1890—“H.C. Perry informs us that the Golf route will run a special train from Kansas City on the night of October 2, after
the Priests of Palace parade. This will enable Paola people to get home that night”.
1890—“A regular weekly matinee took place at Walnut Grove race track last Tuesday before a good sized audience. H.
M. McLachlin drove his gray horse, Lawnwood, a half-mile in 1:15 and a full mile in 2:34. Also his bay 3-year-old, Oliver,
was repeated by William Cecil, a mile at 2:45, the last quarter being covered in 40 seconds.”
In addition to the race track activity, local newspaper articles reported many community events that were held at the
Walnut Grove Park north of town---close of the school year picnics, Forth of July Celebrations with fireworks, political
1890–“The drinking fountain on the southeast corner of the park has been completed at last.”
1890—“The street lamp on the southeast corner of Park Square has been replaced with a Gordon lamp.”
1890—“Company C of Paola with other companies of the Kansas National Guards has orders to hold themselves in
readiness during the Indian trouble for any emergency.”
1890—“The Paola Gas and Land Co. shipped a carload of their oil to the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company this week.
They have a contract to furnish oil for all of their lines west of Kansas City.”
1890—“Arrangements have been completed to put in an electric light plant immediately. The machinery will be placed in
the skating rink building.”
1890—“The Commercial House was a mass of brilliancy on Wednesday night, the interior being lighted from cellar to
garret and the illuminating appurtenances on the lawn being tested to their fullest. It was the occasion of Mrs.
Grimshaw's return from the East....The Mandoline club discoursed sweet music and Miss Ollie Hiatt, of Garnett, gave
1890---The first South School was built. Local lore has presented two stories questioning the purpose for which Block
25 was intended when the Paola City plat was drawn. One story suggested that since a few graves were found on
Block 25, the name on the original city plat was misspelled and the block was used as a cemetery instead of seminary.
The other version says that the block was always meant for a school.
A copy of the original Paola City Plat in the Register of Deeds Office clearly shows “Seminary” in Block 25.
Journal entries at the Register of Deeds Office read:
For Lots 4 and 5
May 25, 1865 City Clerk–Grantee Miami Co. Lots 4&5
July 3, 1866 County Commission to Paola Town Co.
For Lots 1,2,3,4,5
Nov. 29, 1882 Wagstaff, W.R. (Mgr.), To Wilgus, A. and F.M.
June 21, 1886 Krutz, W.G. (Member of Town Co.) To Paola City
Sept. 9, 1886 Krutz, W. G. & wf. to Board of Education
Sept. 9, 1886 City of Paola to Bd. of Education-Seminary Square
For Lots 6,7,8,9,10
Nov. 29, 1882 Wagstaff, W.R. (Mgr.) To Willgus, A. And F.M.
June 21, 1886 Krutz, W.G. (Member of Town Company) City of
Sept. 9, 1886 Krutz, W.G. & wf. To Bd. of Ed. of City of Paola
Sept. 9, 1886 City of Paola to Board of Education.
In a program Ethel Hunt presented to the Miami County Historical society in 1968, she noted that on November 27,
1882, for $500 W.R. Wagstaff, as Manager of the Paola Town Company, conveyed to A. and Francis M. Wilgus Lots
1,2,3,4,5, and 6,188.8.131.52 Block 25 designated on Plat of Paola City as a Seminary. The block had never been used; so
perhaps the sale was due to the fact that the map had been made 25 years earlier.
Ethel Hunt went on to say that about 1858-1859 a verbal agreement was made with Baptiste Peoria for ground for a
city graveyard south of the southern boundary of the Paola Town site. Through this verbal agreement bodies were
buried on ground supposed to be the City Graveyard and through carelessness or mistake was buried over the line
within the city limits.
1890—“A few years ago all the wooden street crossings in Paola were torn out and stone ones put in. Now all the
stone crossings are being taken out and wooden ones put in.”
1890—“As cold weather approaches, loose boards in sidewalks all over town are being quietly gathered up and carried
away for kindling by thrifty citizens.”
1890—“The handle factory has been running a full force of hands the past few months. They supply four railroads with
1890—“S.A. Hosmer, representing the New York State Evaporating Works, has established an apple drier here near the
Gulf depot. The evaporators will be running full blast in a few days.”
1890—“The show season opens up in Paola next Monday night with one of the best comedy companies on the road.
The opening attraction is "Wild Oats." Mr. Mallory has secured this excellent theatrical troupe at a low rate of
admission, 50 cents, with no extra charge for reserved seats, so the grand opera house should be packed next
Monday night.” (This theater was on the west side of the square, not the Mallory Opera House theater built in 1895 on
1891—“Cows still have open leeway in Paola and whenever councilmen undertake to restrain them they are jumped on
with both feet. It will be a long time before Paola is freed from this nuisance.”
1891–“John Chandler and three children who were over from Colony, Anderson County, last week, having the Dollar
mad stone applied for dog bites, returned home Saturday much relieved.”
1891—“On petition of David Lykins Perry, the ten bodies in the Indian burying ground at the rear of the lot at 402 North
Pearl were moved to the Elmwood division of the Paola Cemetery by order of the Paola City Council September 16,
1891. Each grave is marked. Samuel Baptiste, son of Baptiste Peoria, is buried there. Baptiste Peoria’s store was just
south of the Indian burial ground. Later this store site was the site of the Drew McLaughlin, Sr. home, 314 N. Pearl”.
1891---“J.R. Vogelsong has purchased a number of lots from Mrs. Dol. Campbell on Miami Street adjoining the Missouri
Pacific track for his mill site. He intends commencing work soon.”
1891---JR. Voglesong has contracted with a company for the machinery of a 50 to 75 barrel mill he intends building
1891—“W.C.T.U. has passed a resolution to publish the names of all signers of petitions for drug store permits. One
publication will probably prove a great plenty.”
1891—“G.W. Lowry, head of the colored schools in this city reports that Edward W. Cooper, a colored man, is making a
success of The Freeman, an illustrated paper, published in Independence. Professor Lowry is the best authority on the
colored race that ever lived in Miami County.”
1891—“A. Strausbaugh was named official organizer for Miami County’s Anti-Horse Thief Association at the state
meeting in Wichita.”
1892—“H.J. Grimshaw, Englishman, conducted his hotel at Paola in English tavern style. All guests sat at one long
table. The host said grace, and then carved, asking each guest what portion he preferred. An English garden
surrounded the hotel.” -- The Annals of Kansas.
1892—“The line of march for the Memorial Day services was composed of the Paola Cornet Band, Co. C. K.N.G., uniform
rank Knights of Pythias, Richard drum corps, flower girls, McCaslin Post and visiting posts on the G.A.R.”
1892–“Shofstall & Campbell have a barrel factory in the canning factory building.”
1892—“The population of Paola has been returned as 3,465.”
1892—“Paola has two flour mills, doing good business now, one Voglesong & Poteet, and the other Shofstall &
Campbell.” Also, about this time the Paola Mill & Elevator of H.M. and T.S. McLachlin was in operation.—Verla Thomas.
1892—“A belfry has been built on the city building and the fire bell placed in it.”
1893—“Work on four large and elegant residences is in progress in Paola. The Hillis house soon will be done; M.A.
Schroeder's (510 East Chippewa) is well started and Resin Nicholson (302 South Pearl) is going right along with his.”
1893—“The Paola Free Library was moved this week to the new building east of the City Hall. Mrs. Haskell, the
librarian, will live in the building which adjoins the library room.”
1893—“Not a single accident marred the big Forth of July celebration. It was estimated that there were 10,000 here.
400 came from Osawatomie on the early train and the rest of the town followed by buggy and wagon. People came
from all over Miami County, from Linn, Anderson, Franklin and Johnson counties and from over the border in Missouri.”
1893—“A drinking fountain is being put in at the northeast corner of the city park for the accommodation of the thirsty
public. The pipes will connect with the water main and the water will be cooled by conducting it through the large
cistern that was dug at the corner of the park 20 years ago for fire protection.”
1893—“The bandstand has been moved from the center to the north side of the park and a fountain is being put in the
center. Gravel walks are being put around and across the park.”
1893—“A man from Chanute arrived Saturday to test the virtues of Mrs. Dollar's madstone. The stone adhered 60
hours. The man had been bitten by a rabid dog ten days ago.”
1893—“Noel Dagnette is here this week visiting friends. His home is in Miami, Indian Territory. In talking of the old
crowd, he said, "John Charley is doing well and so is David L. Perry. The Geboe boys are prosperous and John
Wadsworth is now in Washington, D.C. Mrs. Hedges and Dr. Wade are both well.”
1893—“At a regular council meeting these bills were allowed: I.L. Kent, marshal, salary $35; Wm. Emery, deputy, $25;
M.A. Strait, clerk, $12.50; Paola Gas Co., gas for street lamps, $72.”
1894—“The Ursuline Sisters arrived to build a school, Ursuline Academy”.
1894—“Senator John J. Ingalls will speak in Paola May 30, when the soldiers' graves are decorated.”
1894—“Noel Dagnette, now living in the Indian Territory, was back recently shaking hands with old friends. He had
helped survey nearly all of the public roads in Middle Creek.”
1894—“Hon. Chester I. Long, congressman elect from the Seventh District visited Paola friends from Saturday until
Monday.” (Chester Long had attended the normal school at North School.)
1894—“George W. Lowry, teacher in our public school, has been invited to read a paper at the teacher’s association at
Pleasant Hill, Mo. At the annual meeting in March. Mr. Lowry is an educated black man who commands the respect of all
who know him.”
1894—Henrietta Stoddard Turner wrote a letter to the editor of the Western Spirit, February 12, 1894, thanking him for
allowing space in his paper for her women’s suffrage article even though she knew of his “disapproval of and
opposition to equal suffrage.”
1894—“Paola now has a public free library in active operation.”
1894—“Since water in wells and cisterns is so low it should all be boiled. Bad water is to a great extent responsible for
the sickness and fever that prevail.”
1894—“Holdups are almost a nightly occurrence in Paola.”
1895—The cornerstone of the first Ursuline Academy building, built on a five-acre cornfield,
was laid September1, 1895.
1895---The Mallory Opera House was built.
1898---Miami County Courthouse designed by George Washburn was dedicated. The cost of courthouse was $45.000.
From the Annals of Kansas. (At the Swan River Museum there is an extensive history of Miami County’s two
courthouses–the first courthouse building which was initially the first school and the new courthouse built in 1898. This
courthouse history at the museum was prepared by Ethel J. Hunt from her newspaper clippings collection, Miami County
Courthouse documents and Ethel’s memories from working in the courthouse for thirty-one years.)
1898---Lizzie Dollar of Paola, Kansas was telegraphed to take her "madstone" to Fairbury, Nebraska to treat
Hydrophobia cases. Annals of Kansas. In 1876 she treated from 5 to 10 persons a month, getting all the way from 10
to 50 dollars a treatment. An 1888 article says “two men from near Freeman, Mo. were bitten by a mad dog and came
to Paola to consult Mrs. Henry Dollar who has the only genuine mad stone in the west. The stone adhered to the
wound on one for six hours and to the other for two hours. For 25 years this stone has been in the possession of
1899—“William Schwartz, of Wea township, has bought A. Bumgarner’s brick and tile plant in this city and intends to
put in $3,500 worth of new machinery. Mr. Schwartz will run it as proprietor, with Mr. Bumgarner in charge. Our city will
be the gainer in more ways than one, for Mr. Schwartz intends to move here next year. To get such a man among us is
a big thing for the entire community.”
1899—“George D. Vogelsong has taken charge of the Paola Pearl Meal Mill & Elevator on West Peoria Street. Mr.
Vogelsong is one of the most thorough mill operators in the state and has had many years of experience. George is
back in Paola to stay and his return has been signaled by a hearty welcome from all.”
1899—“Although the corner stone had been laid for the courthouse, because of some building problems, the county
officials didn’t move in until April.”
1899—“Mrs. Alice McGrath, the oldest living of all the McGrath’s, is spending a month or two in Miami County. She still
owns the old homestead. (The original site of the old Baptist Mission.) Only for the worry caused by the suit of W.C.
Lykins for her home place under the pretext of an Indian title, Mrs. McGrath would enjoy her old days. W.C. Lykins is
the son of Dr. Lykins and many years ago clerked in Mitchler's store.”
1899—“The friends of Professor George W. Lowry will give an entertainment in the opera house tonight to assist him in
paying for the artificial limb which he purchased a few months ago. It is a worthy project and everybody should attend.”
1899—“Charles Sherman received word from the Soldiers' Home in Leavenworth, Kansas, that George Reed, a colored
man well known here died last Sunday. Reed was a member of the McCaslin Post and was well liked by all who knew
him. Mr. Sherman will look after his property interests here.”
1899—“Companies B, C and I, 20th Kansas Volunteers, were ordered to dislodge Filipino sharpshooters from a jungle
at Caloocan, near Manila, and did it. In the charge, Lieutenant A.C. Alford, Company B, was killed and Jay Sheldon,
quartermaster sergeant of Company I, was seriously wounded. Privates Hewitt, Fritts and Gillilan of Company B also
suffered slight wounds. Company I is commanded by Captain C.S. Flanders.”
1899—“Henry Miller, an industrious and well to do colored man in the south part of town died last Friday, aged 72. He
leaves his wife and several children. Aunt Tabitha will now have to go the rest of life's journey without the faithful
husband. Mr. Miller left considerable property, mostly in real estate. The funeral last Saturday was largely attended.”
1899—“The city marshal’s report shows six arrests during December, five for selling hop tea and one for using profane
1899—“The ice on Bull Creek measures 13 ½ inches and ice men tell us this is the thickest since 1884-1885.”
1899—“The football which was organized here about a week ago has been having practice games on the old mill
ground west of town and they expect to line up against Osawatomie’s eleven soon. Claude Masters is captain of the
1899—“Henrietta Stoddard Turner went to Kansas City Monday where she attended a meeting of the Kansas Equal
Suffrage Association of which she is state treasurer. “Henrietta Stoddard Turner’s obituary notes that she was a
teacher, noted in literary circles throughout Kansas and Missouri and was active in civic and social organizations. Mrs.
Turner was a charter member of the Pleasant Hour Club and was organizer of the May Day Club. The Pleasant Hour
Club is still active in Paola in 2005.
1899—“Every house in town is occupied. Pretty good place is this to live in after all. Any others coming here to live
should take notice: bring your tent with you.”
1900 Annals of KS --Paola passed ordinance compelling vaccinations of all school children.1900--“The Paola Brick Works
turn out the best paving brick now known to the market. KCKS now has filed an order for 150,000. Mr. Wm. Schwartz
put in over $5,000 worth of new machinery and this year $5,000 more.”
1900---“The Paola Fair which will be held in the old opera house, beginning Feb. 19 and last one week. Paola orchestra
will entertain during supper and evening on 19th. There will be music and singing every evening. We would like a nice
display of all grains grown in our county...bring and donate.”
1900--“Women’s Relief Corps 17th Anniversary dinner at Mrs. T.K. Clifton’s on school house hill.”
As the 19th Century drew to a close, the Spanish American War had ended; WCTU (Women’s Christian Temperance
Union) groups were active; women’s suffrage was a powerful force in Paola as it was all over the country; and our
schools were still segregated.