Impressive Ceremonies Mark the Completion of Paola's New $40,000 Edifice Last Monday.

    RIGHT REVEREND THOS. F. LILLIS THE OFFICIATING DIGNITARY.

    Service Began at Nine O'clock with Blessing the New Church Followed by
    Solemn High Mass and Able Addresses by Father Jennings
    and Bishop Lillis.

    (From The Western Spirit.)

    The dedication of the new Holy Trinity church in Paola occurred Monday, April 1st, 1907,
    and was attended by 1,500 people.

    Right Reverend Thomas Francis Lillis, Bishop of the Leavenworth diocese, officiated. The
    dedicatory services began at nine o'clock a. m. with the blessing of the beautiful edifice.

    About 9:30 the Bishop and his assistants entered the church, which was filled to over-
    flowing. Solemn High Mass was then celebrated, the celebrant being Reverend Father Leo
    Molengraft, O.F.M., of Kansas City, Kansas, assisted by Father B. S. Kelly, also of Kansas
    City, Kansas, as Deacon, and Reverend Father Dornsifer, of Rosedale, as Subdeacon.
    Father B. A. Mohan, of Kansas City was Master of Ceremonies, and the assistants to the
    Bishop were Fathers A. J. Kuhls, of Kansas City, Kansas, and Redeker, of Westphalia.

    The Reverend Father Jennings, of Kansas City, Kansas, delivered the dedicatory sermon.
    His language was simple and his discourse very impressive. Bishop Lillis also spoke and
    many who heard him pronounce it the ablest and most beautiful address ever listened to in
    Paola.

    After the other services, confirmation was administered by Bishop Lillis. Besides the
    resident pastor, Reverend M. Burk, the following out-of-town priests were present and
    assisted in the exercises: Reverend Father Kuhls, Mohan, Kelly, Bradley, Jennings and
    Molengraft, all of Kansas City, Kas.; Rev. Father Bernadine, Rev. Father M. J. Gleason, Rev.
    Father C. M. Scanlan and Rev. Father Macleod, C.Ss.R., of Kansas City, Mo.; Rev. Father
    Beck of Argentine; Rev. Father Dornseifer, of Rosedale; Rev. Father Michel, of Frankfort;
    Rev. Father Herberichs, of Lenexa; Rev. Father Scherer, of Greeley; Rev. Father Redeker, of
    Westphalia; Rev. Father Hohe, of Wea; Rev. Father Heuberger, of Louisburg, and Rev.
    Father Eloi, O.S.B. of Ursuline Academy.

    The dedicatory services over, the priests and congregation repaired to St. Patrick's school,
    east of the new church, where dinner was served. The priest's table occupied the upper
    floor, while the downstairs room was used for the immense throng of hungry patrons, but
    all were looked after in good shape, and everybody enjoyed one of the best meals ever
    spread on a table. While dinner was being served, the Wea Parish band, under the
    direction of Reverend Father Hohe, discoursed sweet music, which added greatly to the
    success of the happy occasion.

    The old church, destroyed by fire January 14, 1906, was 50 feet by 80 feet and was built in
    1881. Work on the plans of a new church was started immediately after the fire, and the
    building committee was composed of Jacob Koehler, Henry Allen, P. J. Theno, Peter J.
    Keenan, John Sheehan, P. W. Goebel, William Schwartz, Martin Langan, M. Fenoughty, John
    Morris, Bernard Harkins, James Riley, James Dalton and B. J. Sheridan. This committee was
    duly approved by Reverend Father Burk, who, upon the unanimous request of the
    congregation was made a member of the committee.

    The completion of the foundation of the new church was celebrated in Paola, May 27, 1906,
    by the laying of the corner stone, Bishop Lillis conducting the services. Work was pushed
    and now, in its finished condition, furnishings complete, the new Holy Trinity church
    represents a value of about $40,000.

    The structure is 52 feet wide by 115 feet long, and is built of pressed brick and white
    stone. The larger tower, wherein hangs the $300 bell, donated by William Schwartz, is 110
    feet high. A basement extends under the whole structure.

    Entering the main door on the north, one steps into a large vestibule, separated from the
    church proper by three sets of double swinging doors. On the extreme left is a smaller
    vestibule to which admission is gained by a door at the northeast end of the church. From
    this room a stairway leads to the gallery. In the center of the balcony rests the large pipe
    organ, while on the east is a small alcove which may be used to a good advantage when
    the capacity of the church is taxed, as an arched opening gives full view of the sanctuary.

    Six massive white pillars, each adorned with capitals of the composite style, occupy
    positions on either side of the center aisle, and serve as supports to the arched Gothic
    ceiling, which is divided into six parts and each projecting shoulder of the groined section
    meets the immaculately white columns, giving strength as well as beauty to the
    appearance of the large audience room.

    The pews are divided into four division and three aisles, the main one being at the center.
    On the left side, within the communion rail, is the Blessed Virgin Mary altar, beneath whose
    canopy stands a statue of the Blessed Virgin. This altar was the gift of the Sodality Society
    and the statue from one of the parishioners.

    The central altar, donated by the altar society, is a handsome piece of work of Gothic
    pattern, bearing statues of Jesus, Mary and Saint Ann. Standing out in bold relief at the
    base of the altar is the scene of the last supper. On the west is St. Joseph's altar, which,
    with the statue, was presented by Paola Council No. 1149, Knights of Columbus.

    The sacristies on each side of the altar are conveniently connected by a light, airy
    passageway which leads from the vestment apartment to the room on the west that will
    be used by the altar attendants to the priest during services.

    Great care was exercised in selecting the church windows. They are of imported cathedral
    glass and very beautiful. The first on the left is Saint Pete, given by Jacob Koehler. Next
    comes the patron saint of Ireland--St. Patrick--donated by Michael and Patrick Fenoughty.
    The third window on the east shows Saint John--a memorial to Mary L. Charland, late wife
    of John Charland. The large double window is a fine specimen of art, representing "The
    Ascension." The north half is in memory of James B. and Anne Clark, and the south half is
    the gift of Joseph Dalton and his sons, Charles and James. Saint Agnes' window is the first
    on the right of the auditorium, in memory of Miles Finn, and to the south of it is W. F. Killy's
    donation, St. Rose of Lima, St. Cecilia, donated by Peter J. Theno, is the next window. To
    the right of the sanctuary is the large double window, picturing Christ blessing little
    children. St. Patrick's school is the donor. The smaller windows in vestibules were donated
    by John Sheehan, James Wiest and Thomas McGrath. The rounded frontal over the north
    entrance was given by Mathew Harnden.

    The new edifice ranks among the finest in Kansas and is a structure of which all Paola may
    feel justly proud. Father Burk, to whom much credit is due for his faithful work in
    supervising its erection, feels grateful to all for substantial assistance, not only from his
    parishioners, but from non-Catholics, who contributed generously to the building fund.

    Last Wednesday, in company with Bishop Lillis and Rev. Patrick McInerney, of Olathe,
    Father Burk left for New York, from which point they will sail for Rome. The Bishop's trip is
    what is known in the Church as the Ad Limina or Bishop's visit to the Pope.

    Once in ten years the Bishop of every diocese is required to visit the Holy See in Rome and
    report on the condition of churches under his charge. It has been twenty-six years since a
    Bishop of Leavenworth diocese appeared in person before the Pope.

    While abroad, Rev. Burk will visit his parents, who live at Wadersloh, Westfalen, Germany.
    During his three months' absence, Rev. Father Clarence Bradley, assistant at St. Mary's
    church, Kansas City, will take his place here.

    On Father Burk's return from Europe in July of that same year he immediately resumed the
    important task of finishing the many details left over from the past year's work. His health
    now restored and his spirits rendered buoyant by the joy of the people at his return.

    It took several years to complete the work and to liquidate all indebtedness,--seven years
    in fact,--but he succeeded completely and left to future generations a perfectly equipped
    church, beautiful in proportions and stately in its general outlines. In keeping with all this
    was the new equipment of the rectory. He installed a full set of fine electric fixtures in the
    church and residence. He laid out the grounds with excellent taste and constructed an
    extensive system of cement walks. In fact, it would be hard to find a single thing wanting,
    from the steam heating plant in the cellar to the fine toned bell in the tower. The beauty of
    the interior of Holy Trinity church is greatly enhanced by the splendid altars and Stations of
    the Cross, but more especially by the artistic excellence of the stained glass windows.
    There are fine pews and a large pipe organ.

    The vestments and sacred vessels are in keeping with the rest, and the choir, under Sister
    Cecilia, would do credit to any city church. This was Paola in 1914. The reader, however,
    must remember that Osawatomie and the State Asylum was then a part of the daily and
    weekly burden that wore on the health and nerves of this willing worker.

    Father Burk felt his health again declining and his nervous system affected so that a
    change became necessary. He freely and by request exchanged place with Father Kinsella
    of the Sacred Heart church at Leavenworth on December 4, 1914, and after one year and
    eight months at the latter place, he was appointed to the important rectorship of St. Mary's
    church, Kansas City, Kas. This took place September 1, 1916, and the following December
    the 19th, he was appointed Dean of the Kansas City district and a Vicar General of the
    Leavenworth Diocese.

    A much needed pastoral residence at the Sacred Heart church is the result of his short stay
    in Leavenworth. The same is true at St. Mary's; he has built a modern, up-to-date
    residence there, which is regarded by all as the best of its kind in the two Kansas Cities.

    It is pleasant now to record that this good priest has retained the esteem and reverence
    of all who ever knew him in Miami county, and more especially, the people of Paola.
..
..
Hannes Poetter Design and Sponsorship - all rights reserved
Miami County Historical Museum - 12 E. Peoria, - Paola, KS 66071 Phone: 913-294-4940
.
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
Your ad could be
here
A big Thank You
to our Sponsors
THE NEW HOLY TRINITY CHURCH IS DEDICATED  - 1907